The American Rabbit Breeders Association is the world’s largest rabbit breeders organization dedicated to the promotion and development of the domestic rabbit.
Currently ARBA has well over 24,000 registered members worldwide and is rapidly growing. For those of you who do not already know the term ARBA is the abbreviation used for the “American Rabbit Breeders Association”. Although the organization was initially founded in the United States it now has members in Canada and several other countries. The American Rabbit Breeders Association has played a key role in developing and promoting the different breeds of rabbits.
Although the majority of ARBA members raise rabbits, the American Rabbit Breeders Association also has a cavies division. The ARBA currently recognizes 13 cavie breeds.
“The objectives of the ARBA are to unify, foster, promote, further, and enhance all phases of the domestic rabbit and cavy industry.”
In order to become a registered member of ARBA you will need to first fill out a registration form. Registration forms can be found on the ARBA website. Membership to the organization usually costs between $15-25 annually depending on what plan you register for. One of the benefits of joining the organization is that you get the “Official Guidebook To Raising Better Rabbits” free of charge.
7 Facts About ARBA
1. ARBA was initially known as the National Pet Stock Association.
2. William I. Lyons was the first president of the organization.
3. The ARBA currently has over 24,000 members according to their website.
4. The organization processes rabbit and cavie registrations. You can get an animal registered for $6.
5. Currently you can become a member of ARBA for; $12/year (youth) and $20/year (adult). Registration forms can be found on their website.
6. The American Rabbit Breeders Association has assembled a book on raising rabbits titled: Raising Better Rabbits and Cavies. When you register you will receive the book for free. Also ARBA has some other publications such as the Standard of Perfection available on their site. Every few years ARBA publishes a new Standard of Perfection which the rabbit judges at ARBA shows use to “properly” evaluate rabbits.
7. ARBA is currently headquartered in Bloomington, Illinois.
For more information about ARBA you can go ahead and visit their website. Their current website address is:
On the site you can also find additional info about raising rabbits, a list of registered rabbitries who have purchased an online listing. Publications, ARBA show info, licensed rabbit judges and more…
More Info about ARBA
Arba has existed since the early 1900s and currently has 47 recognized breeds of rabbits. ARBA also includes Cavies not just rabbits.
Location HDQs: Bloomington, Illinois
Phone #: 309-664-7500